A message from the Dean of Fine & Performing Arts at Santa Ana College (Dated 3/31/15):
Dear RSCCD Community,
Since today is the official Cesar Chavez Day (3/31), I thought it would be appropriate to send a quick note of appreciation for the almost 20 years of support for the SAC Arts at the Santora Arts Gallery.
The show now in session, Chicano Heroes de Aztlan had a phenomenal opening night on Saturday, March 7th, with more than a thousand people going through the gallery. The closing reception is this Saturday, April 4th from 7 to 10 pm. The organization, Downtown Inc, did a short video about the show, and I have included the link here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_JJ2Ez4Pss
In my role as Interim Dean, I have become aware of how much the downtown community respects Santa Ana College and the SAC Arts Gallery as pivotal in the development of the thriving arts economy that exists today in Santa Ana. Both CSU Fullerton and Chapman University have requested to partner with Santa Ana College arts faculty to promote even more arts opportunities for college students and Santa Ana community members.
Here are some quick facts about the gallery:
· The SAC Arts Gallery was established in 1996 and is now the only remaining original tenant of the Santora Building and the longest-established original entity in the Artists Village.
· Santa Ana College was the first educational institution to establish a presence in the Artists Village at its beginnings in the late 1990’s.
· SAC Arts Gallery has consistently presented exhibitions featuring prominent and highly-respected artists from the L.A. and Orange County areas.
· Exhibitions in the gallery have featured faculty/student artwork from numerous other community colleges from as far as San Diego County and Santa Barbara County.
· Some of the organizations that have sought out the SAC Arts Gallery for exhibitions include the California Art Education Association, the Bowers Kidseum, Latino Art Museum, OC Department of Education ACCESS Support Services and the Legacy Project.
· SAC Arts Gallery has organized yearly exhibitions of student art from the local OC “feeder” high schools as an outreach tool to Santa Ana College.
Eve Kikawa, Interim Dean
Fine & Performing Arts Division/Nealley Library
Santa Ana College