This is written in response to someone named Tim Rush, who is the most vocal, active and visible opponent to a Chivas USA move here. His letter to the OC Register is available here.
1. First you suggest that a stadium for Chivas USA would be better in LA because there are more Latinos there, compared to Santa Ana and Anaheim combined. But what about the rest of OC’s Latino populations? Or those in cities near the LA / OC border. Do you think they won’t come to watch a game in Santa Ana? Are all Angel fans from Orange County?
2. To say that a stadium in Santa Ana would be “Orange County’s version of the LA Coliseum” is a gross and devious exaggeration. I want you, Tim Rush, to tell me how many soccer stadiums in Major League Soccer are the size of the coliseum.
3. You left out Harbor Boulevard and conveniently chose to use Fairview and Bristol as examples. For those coming from LA county, exiting off of the 22 to Harbor will get them to the proposed site in 5 minutes. I know because I drove that route specifically to find out how long it would take.
4. Your writing suggests that all expenses are passed onto the city. Look at all of the sponsors that Chivas USA has.
5. Most devious of your comments is your hinting at potential violence happening here through your example of what happened at Dodger stadium. This is a deliberate and devious scare tactic.
6. I almost believe that you are well-intentioned and that you wouldn’t mind having a stadium off of the 55 (where exactly?), but still, you hint at violence as if it were inevitable and you turned this into a race issue by saying that there are more Latinos in LA so a new Chivas USA stadium should go there. You’ve exaggerated in your comments thus poking holes in your own argument.